Omnibox is the combination of address bar and search box; you can type in web addresses as well as search directly from here. Google Chrome has it and it’s quite a powerful little tool. Not only can you search via your primary site, but also search within individual sites and that’s not all. Did you know you can even write/compose an email directly from omnibox. Here’s how:
- Go to Gmail.com, log in with the email you want to use for emails.
- To the extreme right of omnibox, besides Star icon, you should see a double-diamond type of icon(protocol handler icon). Click it & select “Allow“.
- Now open Chrome settings page (chrome://settings) or by clicking lines icon to top-right and selecting Settings.
- Scroll down to Search section, click Manage search engines.
- Add a new search engine; In first field, type “Compose Email“; type “e” in keyword field & type “mailto:?subject=%s” in last field.
- Writing email directly from omnibox is configured, now let’s test it.
- Open a new tab and type “e” and press “tab” & type your Subject field. Hit Enter.
- If a page similar to following appears, consider it done.